I mentioned in a previous post on how to cultivate a winning mind set about learning to breathe through your stomach. This topic is really important to me because I’ve found that, when I breathe from my stomach, I feel so much more calmer and I am able to get into my zone very quickly. I’ve learnt that when you breathe via your chest, it makes you feel slightly anxious. When you panic, what happens to your breathing? You start to breathe quickly, and from your chest. I believe that your psychology affects your physiology and vice versa.
If you learned to breathe through your stomach, then you’ll be surprised at how well you will be able to handle chaos in your life.
So, how do you breathe deeply? Follow this guide to show you how to do it properly!
- Sit down on a semi hard surface. Make sure that your posture is upright and your spine is in line. Place your hand on your belly region, this will give you some feedback to see if you are breathing from your stomach correctly.
- What you want to do first is relax, so just exhale to relax your shoulder and chest areas.
- Close your mouth and inhale through your nose, making sure that you are expanding, or pushing your stomach out. As your belly is expanding, you should be able to see it visibly with your hand. You want to make sure that you are breathing slowly, since this helps slow down the mind and your heart rate. When you feel like you can’t take in any more breathe then pause. Don’t try to hold it, just let it sit for a second.
- Now exhale, slowly, through your nose and your stomach should start collapsing in slowly. Make sure that your stomach has emptied as much as possible before going in for the next breathe.
- Repeat this process for 2 minutes or for 10 breathes.
By doing this regularly, wherever you may be, will transform your mind into a real powerhouse that can zone into whatever work is put in front of it. This method has really helped me focus very quickly. I recommend that you do this 3 times a day so that you can get used to it. Over time, you should increase it and you’ll find that you naturally use this as a tool to calm yourself.